Date(s) - 04/17/2023
Guyon Auditorium/Morris Library
Southern Illinois University Carbondale will recognize eight faculty and staff members for superior scholarship and creative endeavors, teaching and service with the 2023 Excellence Awards.
The awards are bestowed annually for exceptional work both in and outside the classroom. The recipients will be recognized during a ceremony at 3 p.m. Monday, April 17, in Morris Library’s John C. Guyon Auditorium.
“SIU Carbondale is fortunate to have faculty and staff who imagine a better world and their role in it,” said Chancellor Austin A. Lane. “They each exemplify what it means to be a Saluki as we implement our strategic plan, Imagine 2030, and make our vision a reality.”
The 2023 SIU Carbondale Excellence Awards recipients are:
- Scholar Excellence Award: Punit Kohli, professor, School of Chemical and Biomolecular Sciences and interim director, Integrated Microscopy and Graphics Expertise (IMAGE) Center.
- Teaching Excellence Award (tenured and tenure-track): Leslie Duram, professor, geography and environmental resources, School of Earth Systems and Sustainability.
- Teaching Excellence Award (non-tenure track): Tim Marlo, clinical associate professor, School of Analytics, Finance, and Economics, College of Business and Analytics.
- Early Career Faculty Excellence Award: Sabrina Nilufar, assistant professor, School of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Materials Engineering; College of Engineering, Computing, Technology and Mathematics.
- Women of Distinction: Jen Phillips, director, New Student Programs.
- Emerging Leader: Bethany Peppers, assistant director, Student Involvement and Leadership, Office of Student Engagement.
- Staff Excellence Award: Kelly Caringer, chief instructional media systems engineer, Center for Teaching Excellence, and Tina Sickinger, coordinator, graduate student recruitment and retention, Graduate School.