Date(s) - 12/03/2022
4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Mt. Vernon, Illinois – The theme for the annual Downtown Mt. Vernon Christmas Parade &
Activities has been announced. Mt. Vernon Christmas Light Fight will take place on Saturday,
December 3rd beginning at 5 p.m. in downtown Mt. Vernon.
“Mt. Vernon Festivals, Inc. is excited to continue this long tradition, which has been led by many
organizations and individuals over many years,” commented Angela Schrum, Festivals Director.
“When the Downtown Mt. Vernon Development Corporation modified their format early this
year, they asked Mt. Vernon Festivals to help make sure some events they had been overseeing
lived on for the benefit of the community. Our Board of Directors was happy to oblige.”
Several aspects of the fun kick of to Christmas event will remain the same including cookie
decorating hosted by the Business Women’s Club, a make & take craft from United Way of
South Central Illinois, visits with Santa in his cottage and more.
“Parade lineup will begin at 4 p.m. on 7th Street just like Fall Fest parade lineup,” mentioned Mt.
Vernon Festivals Vice President, Lisa Damron. “We are excited to welcome all kinds of entries
to the Christmas Light Fight Parade and have added a few new prize categories to add to the
fun this year.”
Parade awards will be given to:
Best Use of Theme
Best Use of Lighting
Best Youth Entry
Best SxS/ ATV
Anyone is eligible to sign up to be in the parade and there is no entry fee, but preregistration is
required. There are a few important rules for entrants for the safety of the participants and the
spectators. Some “must know” information includes:
• Decorated entries ONLY! The theme is “Mt. Vernon Christmas Light Fight”.
• Each entry is limited to two vehicles.
• Parade line-up begins at 4 p.m.
• All entries in place by 4:30 p.m. for judging
• PARADE START TIME IS 5 P.M.
• Candy only to be thrown by walkers. •
• Walkers must remain walkers and riders must remain riders for the duration of the
• NO SANTA’S! We will have an official parade Santa Claus!
• Family activities will follow the parade on 9th St. between Main and Broadway.
More information can be found at MTVFestivals on Facebook or enjoymtvernon.com/events.