Date(s) - 01/19/2023 - 01/20/2023
1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
he American Red Cross and KFVS12 are once again encouraging area blood donors to roll up a sleeve this winter at the annual KFVS12 Winter Heartland Blood Drive Jan. 19, 20 and 21 in Southeast Missouri and Southeast Illinois.
For more than 20 years, the Red Cross and KFVS12 have partnered up to help save lives through blood drives in the winter and summer seasons. The Red Cross critically needs donors of all blood types − especially type O − to give now and help ensure patients continue to receive the treatments they need this winter.
Everyone who attempts to donate will receive a ‘Top Notch Blood Donor’ T-shirt, while supplies last.
January is National Blood Donor Month. In addition, this Januray the American Red Cross and Pro Football Hall of Famer and blood donor Peyton Manning are asking people to score big for patients in need – while getting a chance to win a trip to Super Bowl LVII in Arizona – by giving blood. In partnership with the National Football League (NFL), those who come to give blood, platelets or plasma Jan. 1-31, 2023, will be automatically entered to win a trip for two to Super Bowl LVII in Arizona*, including access to day-of, in-stadium pre-game activities, tickets to the official Super Bowl Experience, round-trip airfare to Phoenix, three-night hotel accommodations (Feb. 10-13, 2023), plus a $500 gift card for expenses.
“KFVS12 and their viewers always come through for us,” said Jenni Albers, Regional Donor Services Executive, Red Cross of Missouri and Arkansas. “January is always one of the most challenging months of the year and we hope this blood drive will help us provide a stable blood supply for patients in need.”
As the nation enjoyed holiday celebrations with family and friends this year, the American Red Cross continued to face challenges with the blood supply. Cold, flu and seasonal illnesses, coupled with winter storms this holiday season, has caused several hundred uncollected blood donations. The Red Cross is urging eligible donors to take time out to give blood at this drive for patients in need. A complete list of the seven locations, complete with dates and times over the three days, is listed below.
Jan. 19 and 20, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.; Jan. 8, 10:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- West Park Mall, 3049 Williams St., Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63701
- Robinson Construction, 2411 Walters Lane, Perryville, Mo. 63775
- YMCA of Southeast MO., 511 Taylor St., Sikeston, Mo. 63801
- The Lair Event Center, 13583 Old Highway 25, Dexter, Mo. 63841
- Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center – Westwood Campus, 2620 N. Westwood Blvd.; Poplar Bluff, MO. 63901
- University Mall, 1237 E. Main St., Carbondale, IL. 62901
- Veteran’s Airport, 10400 Terminal Dr., #200, Marion, IL. 62959
- Every two seconds in the United States blood is needed to respond to patient emergencies, including accident and burn victims, heart surgery and organ transplant patients, and those receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or sickle cell disease. The Red Cross must collect nearly 13,000 blood and more than 2,600 platelet donations every day for the patients at about 2,500 hospitals nationwide, including 66 hospitals in Missouri and Illinois.
How to donate blood
To make an appointment for this drive, simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org and use sponsor code: KFVS12, or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass® to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive. To get started, follow the instructions at RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass or use the Blood Donor App.