Date(s) - 07/28/2022
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Shryock Auditorium/SIU Campus
It’s back! The Sunset Concerts Series, a popular summer tradition since 1978, is returning in 2022 with six weeks of free musical entertainment for all ages and interests.
This summer’s season opens June 30 on the steps of Shryock Auditorium at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The outdoor concerts, held each Thursday evening through July 28, are all free, and everyone is welcome to attend.
The concerts all begin at 7 p.m. and last about two hours. The locations are:
- The steps of Shryock Auditorium on the SIU campus.
- Carbondale’s Turley Park, located on the west side of the city.
- The corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13 in downtown Carbondale.
- July 28 – Gizzae – Shryock Auditorium steps at SIU. Gizzae is a most eclectic international reggae band, playing across the world for more than 35 years. Group members have earned Grammy awards and Chicago Music Awards, opened for some of the biggest names in reggae and recorded with artists, including Ziggy Marley, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and many more. The band has created a unique musical blend of roots/jam reggae influenced by soca, cumpas, calypso, jazz, rock, blues and more.
- A few rules assure fun for all
The concerts have been a summer staple for decades and typically draw large crowds. To assure that everyone has a safe, enjoyable time, a few rules are in place.
Bans on glass bottles, kegs, smoking, pets and solicitation will be enforced as will underage drinking laws. For more, visit studentcenter.siu.edu/sunsetconcerts or follow the Student Center on Facebook or Twitter.
SIU and its Student Center and Student Programming Council, along with the City of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District are collaborating to provide the musical entertainment. Sponsors also include Country Financial and the Southern Illinois Credit Union.